newbie
Hugo
2004-09-27 14:41:25 UTC
Hello all

I'm a newbie to the poly world - it's a way of life I've ended up
choosing, but it would be great to meet/chat to others. I live in
Cambridge, and looking back through the archives it looks like there
has been a lot going on here in the past - but it's a bit quiet now...

So, is there anybody there, and if so, will anyone offer any tips for
a newbie?

Thanks

Trin
2004-09-28 01:55:29 UTC
Post by Hugo
Hello all
I am not all *points at headers to prove my trinness* but hi anyway. :)
Post by Hugo
I'm a newbie to the poly world
Mmmmmmmmm... new bloooooooooood! <rubs hands gleefully>
Post by Hugo
it's a way of life I've ended up choosing,
You're either very very brave, or very very stupid then. Ignore what
everyone else says... it's not brilliant, great or fun... what it is is
multiplying the confusions, the miscommunications, and the bloody
organising needed - feck I need a secretary now!

Of course, I wouldn't do it if I didn't love it so damn much mind - the
payoffs (being able to love those I am) are the best that Life(tm) offers.

:D
Post by Hugo
but it would be great to meet/chat to others.
Well as you said (in the bit I snipped), it's been quiet in here of
late... but I think that's got much to do with them Real Life(tm) kinda
things I keep hearing about people aquiring (Argos don't do them, I've
checked).
Post by Hugo
So, is there anybody there,
Well I'm here... or I'm someplace anyway. Welcome. :)
See above. <g>
francis
2004-09-28 08:41:52 UTC
Post by Trin
You're either very very brave, or very very stupid then. Ignore what
everyone else says... it's not brilliant, great or fun... what it is is
multiplying the confusions, the miscommunications, and the bloody
organising needed - feck I need a secretary now!
True. Very true. And if everybody accepted polyamory as the normal
thing, there'd be a lot less trouble and strife in the world.
Francis
Hugo
2004-09-28 14:23:55 UTC
Hi

Thanks very much for your replies, good to see that there *is* life
here :)
Post by francis
And if everybody accepted polyamory as the normal
thing, there'd be a lot less trouble and strife in the world.
Yes... perhaps that sums it up - I'm not expecting it to be easy but
it is not somthing I feel is optional (for me) either.

I hope you won't think me too forward if I say it would be lovely to
gently massage this group into a conversation again, so I would be
really really grateful for any info about meets or events, or indeed
any chance to exchange messages (about anything, really) with some
poly folk. To hear from those who see polyamory as a sensible path
rather than just an expression of humungous libido would be *really*
cool...

Thanks

James Hill
2004-09-28 15:39:52 UTC
Post by Hugo
I hope you won't think me too forward if I say it would be lovely to
gently massage this group into a conversation again, so I would be
really really grateful for any info about meets or events, or indeed
any chance to exchange messages (about anything, really) with some
poly folk. To hear from those who see polyamory as a sensible path
rather than just an expression of humungous libido would be *really*
cool...
Well then....

I'm a newbie too.

I'm still trying to figure 'it' all out, but basically I firmly
believe that relationships should not be restrictive, and that
jealousy generally comes from your own insecurity (well when I get it,
it's due to that ;-).

James
eirwen
2004-10-04 10:06:46 UTC
Post by francis
And if everybody accepted polyamory as the normal
thing, there'd be a lot less trouble and strife in the world.
Yes... perhaps that sums it up - I'm not expecting it to be easy but
it is not somthing I feel is optional (for me) either.
I hope you won't think me too forward if I say it would be lovely to
gently massage this group into a conversation again, so I would be
really really grateful for any info about meets or events, or indeed
any chance to exchange messages (about anything, really) with some
poly folk. To hear from those who see polyamory as a sensible path
rather than just an expression of humungous libido would be *really*
cool...
re meets, etc, check out grant's post about polyday on the 30th
october.

maybe see some of you there...

eirwen.
francis
2004-10-04 10:49:29 UTC
Post by eirwen
re meets, etc, check out grant's post about polyday on the 30th
october.
I've probably missed grant's post. Can you tell me more?
Francis
eirwen
2004-10-06 13:31:56 UTC
On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 11:49:29 +0100, francis
Post by francis
Post by eirwen
re meets, etc, check out grant's post about polyday on the 30th
october.
I've probably missed grant's post. Can you tell me more?
yes, here's a bit of info taken form an email from grant:

"PolyDay will be the first UK event for all poly folks and will take
place on Saturday 30th October. More information about the day can be
found at www.uk-poly.net under "announcements". I've created a simple
form, below, for people who would like to register. Fill in as much as
you want to and think is relevant to you. Registration isn't
compulsory but does make it easier for me to organise the day.
"Official" contact details for PolyDay are:

PolyDay - Leicester, Sat 30th Oct 2004
www.uk-poly.net (under announcements)
***@uk-poly.net, 07910 227732
Poly, The Post House, Barracloughs Lane
Barton-upon-Humber, North Lincolnshire
DN18 5BB"

it's running 10am til 4pm on the saturday, and i imagine there will be
quite a number of us staying over the weekend so there may be informal
stuff happening on friday and sunday.

eirwen.
francis
2004-10-07 16:57:55 UTC
Thank for posting that. It's useful to know what is going on.
Francis
eirwen
2004-10-13 10:56:18 UTC
On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 17:57:55 +0100, francis
Post by francis
Thank for posting that. It's useful to know what is going on.
you're welcome *smile*

eirwen.

Andrew Marshall
2004-09-28 18:47:12 UTC
And if everybody accepted polyamory as the normal thing, there'd be a
lot less trouble and strife in the world.
Absolutely right. How two or more adults voluntarily choose amorously to
relate to, and interact with, each other is IMHO nobody's business
whatsoever but their own. A good deal more acceptance and protection of
the freedom of the individual in this respect (as indeed in some others)
would go a very long way to improving the quality of life.

Regards,
Andrew.
--
Andrew Marshall, M0MAA, G8BUR.
Unsolicited advertising matter unwelcome. Offenders may be blacklisted.
Dave Page
2004-10-02 11:28:45 UTC
Post by francis
True. Very true. And if everybody accepted polyamory as the normal
thing, there'd be a lot less trouble and strife in the world.
Christ. Most people have enough trouble with monogamy. If polyamory was the
norm, the streets would be flowing with blood on a Friday night...

If everybody accepted polyamory as *a* normal thing, OTOH...

Dave
--
"What gives is that you came on to a goth. 95% of them, possibly more, are
psycho hose beasts poised on a knife-edge between bursting into tears and
IM: ***@jabber.earth.li | http://sparky.ox.compsoc.net/~grimoire
Dave Page
2004-10-02 11:27:35 UTC
Post by Trin
Well as you said (in the bit I snipped), it's been quiet in here of
late... but I think that's got much to do with them Real Life(tm) kinda
things I keep hearing about people aquiring (Argos don't do them, I've
checked).
I don't know, I think it has more to do with Doom 3 being released...

Dave
--
"When we hold each other, we feel -- not safe, but better. 'It's all right,'
we whisper. 'I'm here, I love you.' And we lie, 'I'll never leave you.'
each other." - John Constantine, "Hold Me"
Spyder
2004-10-02 11:46:51 UTC
In article <415e90a7$0$22756$***@news.zen.co.uk>, Dave Page quietly
whispered...
Post by Dave Page
Post by Trin
Well as you said (in the bit I snipped), it's been quiet in here of
late... but I think that's got much to do with them Real Life(tm) kinda
things I keep hearing about people aquiring (Argos don't do them, I've
checked).
I don't know, I think it has more to do with Doom 3 being released...
I don't have the hardware to run that (pout). I'll have to stick to
posting on newsgroups
--
Spyder
To absent friends, lost loves, old gods,
http://www.spyder.me.uk/
Dave Page
2004-10-02 12:00:09 UTC
Post by Spyder
I don't have the hardware to run that (pout). I'll have to stick to
posting on newsgroups
Maybe we could combine the two - I mean, what happens when you get involved
with a Cacodaemon *and* a Hell Baron?

Dave